A lot of us believe that eating eggs may actually be bad for your health.
We are all scared of cholesterol and also think that eggs can make us put weight on. However, there is a number of reasons why eggs are really beneficial for our health. Eating eggs can make us healthier, stronger and even improve our brain activity.
Think of weight lifters who eat them raw! Of course, you don’t have to consume raw eggs (unless you feel like it for some reason), but knowing the actual facts about eating eggs is definitely something to consider.
Here is some information to get you started!
Eggs are incredibly rich in nutrients such as proteins, vitamins (A, B2, B6, B12, D, E) and minerals (zinc, thiamin, riboflavin folate, phosphorous, magnesium, selenium iron, and copper), and also essential omega-3 fatty acids.
Besides, despite what a lot of people think, eggs are rather low in calories, which makes them much more diet-friendly than many other protein-rich foods: there are only 71 calories in a large egg and no carbohydrates or sugars, and only 5 grams of fat (7 percent of your daily recommended intake)!
Eggs are a fantastic source of choline, which is an essential nutrient for brain development and memory function. Lutein and zeaxanthin and carotenoid vitamins that are essential for your eyesight are also contained in eggs. They reduce the risk of age-related macular degeneration, which may cause blindness while the cartenoids protect the eyes from sunlight damage and reduce the risk of developing cataracts. Vitamin E (tocopherol), fights off the free radicals that can cause tissue and cellular damage, which may lead to cancer.
Eggs contain calcium and vitamin D, which your body needs to maintain and support your bones. Vitamin D boosts your body’s ability to actually absorb calcium, so having both of them in one ingredient is incredibly healthy. Moreover, eggs can help to promote healthy hair and nails because of their high content of sulphur-containing amino acids and the wide array of vitamins and minerals.
While thinking of cholesterol, remember, that your liver itself produces anywhere between 1,000 mg to 2,000 mg of cholesterol each day on its own. It’s important to keep in mind that cholesterol in the diet doesn’t necessarily raise cholesterol in your blood.
What happens when you are consuming foods rich in cholesterol is simple: your liver adjusts and starts producing less cholesterol itself, therefore, eating eggs does not necessarily increase the existing amounts of cholesterol in your body. In 70% of people, eggs don’t raise cholesterol at all. In the other 30%, eggs can mildly raise Total and LDL cholesterol. Eggs contain high-density lipoproteins (HDL) which are actually vital for your body and brain. HDL provides stability in every cell of your body and helps your body produce vitamin D and hormones like testosterone, estrogen, and cortisol.
Unlike low-density lipoprotein (bad cholesterol), which clings to the walls of your blood vessels, HDL cholesterol scrubs the inner walls of these vessels and prevents atherosclerosis. It also lowers LDL levels and does not contribute to heart diseases in healthy people.
In a nutshell, if you are eating even just one egg, here is what your body is getting:
- Vitamin A: maintains the skin, immune system, and normal vision.
- Vitamin B2 (riboflavin): aids energy metabolism, red blood cells, vision and the nervous system.
- Vitamin B12: aids energy metabolism, red blood cells, the immune system and the nervous system.
- Vitamin B5 (pantothenic acid): aids energy metabolism and mental functioning.
- Vitamin D: keeps bones and teeth healthy and aids absorption of calcium
- Vitamin E: keeps the reproductive system, nervous system and muscles healthy.
- Biotin: aids energy metabolism, maintains skin, hair, and the immune system.
- Choline: aids fat metabolism and liver function.
- Folic Acid: aids blood formation and tissue growth during pregnancy.
- Iodine: aids thyroid gland function, maintains the skin and nervous system.
- Iron: assists red blood production and the transportation of oxygen throughout the body.
- Lutein and zeaxanthin: maintain normal vision and protect from age-related eye disease.
- Phosphorus: maintains bones and teeth and aids energy metabolism.
- Protein: needed for building and maintaining muscle, organs, skin and tissue, and producing antibodies, enzymes, and hormones.
- Selenium: protects cells from oxidative damage, maintains the immune system and aids thyroid gland function.
However, if you are diabetic, you should watch your egg intake and consult your doctor regarding egg consumption! Eating egg whites instead of whole eggs may be a good option for diabetics but once again, it should be discussed with your doctor.
By Anastasia T.
Copyright © 2014-2019 Life Advancer. All rights reserved. For permission to reprint, contact us.