How many of you only associate the avo (as the Australians say) with guacamole?
Ever eaten one on its own…yes, I mean without Mexican food…like you would a pear? No? Then you should! They are a fantastic source of nutrients and minerals, they taste amazing and you can smother them on your face in the name of beauty.
Need some more convincing?
The avocado is nature’s little miracle berry. It is highly nutritious and despite the bad press it received years ago due to its high-fat content (the good kind) it contains 20 different vitamins and minerals. It is a source of monounsaturated fat (the same fat you can get in olive oil), which is excellent for heart health.
Avocados have more potassium in them than bananas, and are a fairly neutral-tasting fruit, so much so that you might want to consider swapping your half a banana for half an avocado in your morning smoothie! Having a high potassium intake in your diet can reduce the risk of heart attacks, strokes and kidney failure.
They are really easy to incorporate into your diet, add to a smoothie, to toast, to salad, soup and even to your face for a luxurious facemask.
If you are searching for a high fiber fruit that you can eat lots of without the risk of cramping then start peeling that avocado. A 100g serving of avocado contains 27% of your recommended daily amount. 25% of the fiber found insoluble, this feeds the gut-friendly bacteria that live in your intestines, which we need to keep happy for our bodies to function well. Whilst the other 75% is insoluble fiber, which helps food pass through the stomach and intestines more easily.
Feeling a little under the weather? Avocados contain B Vitamins, which help the body to fight off disease and infection and these beauties also contain Vitamins C and E, with added natural plant chemicals, which may help prevent cancer.
Did you know?
- If you only want half of your avocado (are you mad) simply keep the stone in the remaining half of the berry and it will remain green until you are ready to eat it.
- If your avocado is a little too ripe, peel and mix with oats, honey, lemon juice, and a little apple cider vinegar and slather it onto your face for a really luxurious and natural facemask.
- The avocado is known as the alligator pear due to the texture of the outer skin resembling that of an alligator and the shape, which looks like a pear.
- Avocados are great to incorporate into your lunch as one study found, those who added avocado to their lunch were less likely to snack afterwards as they help you feel full for longer.
- There is one downside to the alligator pear; avocado shopping can prompt a major first world problem. It’s happened to the best of us when you discover that the supermarket is only stocking firm avocados and you want one for dinner.
There is a solution…
Slice up the avocado and sprinkle lemon juice and salt over it. Put it in the oven for 10 mins or until its softer and voila, a firm avocado that’s ready for eating!
- If you have an allergy to latex, speak to your doctor before you start eating avocado
- Why Low Vitamin D Levels Can Be Dangerous and How to Keep Them in Check - December 11, 2018
- What Are Brassica Vegetables and Why You Should Add More of Them to Your Diet - December 10, 2018
- How to Grow Long Hair with These 7 Natural Tips and Remedies - November 25, 2018
Like what you are reading? Subscribe to our newsletter to make sure you don’t miss new life-advancing articles!