Hanging out with people who have different perspectives will help you to discover new things and attune to new world views.
Tolerance. Many people leave this word out of their vocabulary. Peace would replace the current chaos in the world if they did not.
Clashing ideologies add to the global tension, almost daily. People are unable to accept other viewpoints and often try to force their belief systems on others. They have a desperate need to make these systems means of control.
It is this dynamic that needs changing, and it requires people to shift paradigms. You can begin by making a conscious effort to appreciate the little things about the people around you.
Why Acknowledging Differences is Hard
Shifting mindsets will always be a challenging feat. It is a task to uproot values.
Prejudice transcends generations. Parents raise their children with cultural values and norms, which is hard to do without biases. They introduce these prejudices to their children, who, in turn, nurture and practice them.
The group mentality helps to strengthen these biases. It can be hard to resist a belief if everyone else subscribes to it.
Then, there is the question of pride. No person likes to have his values or beliefs challenged. Many people stand by their flawed principles when their egos receive a bruising.
Why we Should Appreciate Differences and Hang Out with People Who Are Different
Besides closing ideological gaps and fostering peace, here are other reasons to accept differences in others and hang out with them:
1. You will learn something new
People with different backgrounds and experiences are excellent teachers. When you are curious about them, you will discover new things.
2. You will make new friends
Opening up and hanging out with people of different races will allow you to meet interesting people. People will be drawn to you if you are not judgmental.
3. You will keep up with the times
The internet has closed gaps between people. The global population now consists of individuals who have added layers to their cultural identity. By accepting differences, you will attune yourself to new world views.
4. You will feel better
Having hatred for people causes you to radiate negative energy. Finally accepting them, conversely, will allow you to release it.
5. You will improve the world
When you show understanding and empathy towards others, you make the collective consciousness a positive one. You will play a part in spreading peace among communities for generations to come.
Taking Steps to Appreciate Differences
Learning to appreciate diversity is not challenging, but may take some effort.
- Visit friends who are of different races or religions. Make it a point to understand their practices and beliefs. Surrounding yourself with different people will help you develop positivity towards them.
- Have an open mind, and discuss their beliefs with them. Assure them that you only want a different perspective on life if they become defensive. Always remain respectful, and communicate clearly.
- Engage in activities of other faiths. Network with people who have different religions and beliefs. The more you do, the more comfortable they will feel discussing their practices with you.
You have everything to gain from hanging out with people with different beliefs and embracing diversity. It stretches, changes and most of all, helps you grow.