Having swelling the size of footballs around your eyes is not the best of looks. There are many makeup products which claim to reduce and hide puffy eyes, but surely, it is best to sort out what causes them.
According to a leading dermatologist, puffy eyes are nothing to be worried about, but they can leave many of us feeling self-conscious.
So what causes puffy eyes and what can we do to reduce and get rid of?
1. Did you recently turn up the thermostat? Central heating causes the eyes to become drier than normal and more sensitive. The heat can dry out the mucous membranes in your eyeballs, which causes the tissue to thicken and become irritated which then causes puffiness.
2. Having a bad nights sleep can make your eyes appear swollen (as a new mum I can vouch for this!). When the body is under stress, cortisol is released from the adrenal glands, which causes an imbalance of salt in the body. As a result, your body retains water and you swell.
3. Seasonal allergies can also cause eye puffiness. When you have an allergic reaction to something your body releases histamine, sometimes this can cause a hive-like reaction particularly around the eyes.
4. PMS can cause puffy eyes as your body does tend to swell during your cycle and weirdly you eyes can retain water too!
5. It’s never easy to hide when you have been crying because of eye puffiness! Your lacrimal gland works overtime to produce tears, and when this happens, the tears are less salty and more watery. The difference in salt concentration between the tears and the surrounding tissue can cause the eyelid to swell.
What are the solutions to reducing puffy eyes?
1. Drink more water
The best and easiest way to get rid of puffy eyes is to increase your intake of water. When the body is well hydrated there is much less of a chance of water retention which can cause puffy eyes. Drinking lots of water also flush out any toxins you have in your body.
The definition of being well-hydrated means having between eight to ten glasses of water every day. In addition to drinking all this lovely water, you may also want to reduce your salt intake and avoid caffeine and carbonated drinks.
2. Cold Spoons
This very simple remedy is actually really effective in reducing puffy eyes. It will also temporarily tighten the skin around your eyes too. You will need to use six metal spoons and have them chilling in the fridge for around fifteen minutes before you want to use them.
Hold the rounded side of the spoon against your eye for a couple of minutes before replacing it with another cold spoon.
3. Tea bags
Green or black tea bags have been known to help reduce the puffiness under your eyes. This is because both types of tea contain antioxidants that help reduce swelling as well as helping with redness and inflammation. Get two used tea bags and place them in the fridge for at least thirty minutes.
When you are ready to use them, lie down and put the tea bags over your eyelids and stay here for fifteen minutes. Repeat a couple of times a day.
Cold cucumbers are excellent for helping to reduce puffiness because of the enzymes and astringent properties found in cucumbers. Cold Cucumbers will help reduce inflammation under the eyes as well as tighten the skin. Using cucumbers may also help get rid of wrinkles and dark circles around the eyes.
Cut a cucumber into thick slices and place in the fridge for ten minutes. When you are ready, place the cucumber slices on your eyelids for around ten minutes at a time and repeat this as many times as you can throughout the day.
5. Egg whites
The whites of eggs are known to have skin tightening properties that can help get rid of bags under the eyes and help in the prevention of wrinkles. Separate the yolk and white of the egg. Whip the eggs to the same consistency you would need to make meringues (thick).
Add a few drops of witch hazel to the egg whites which is a natural skin tightening astringent. Use a cloth to apply this tincture to the underneath of your eyes and let it dry and leave for fifteen minutes. If you do this daily for a few days you will notice a difference.
Potatoes like cucumbers are very effective in getting rid of puffy eyes. The starch that is found in potatoes has anti-inflammatory properties, which help in reducing the bags under your eyes. Potatoes can also help with helping to fade the dark circles under your eyes.
Wash, peel and dry a potato. Grate the potato and put the grated potato into a clean cloth and tie it up. Place this cloth over your eyelids for several minutes at a time and repeat this many times until the puffiness reduces.
7. Lemon juice
Lemons contain vitamin C, which helps in removing all the toxins in your body as well as being an anti-inflammatory. Lemon contains acid that can lighten the skin and when mixed with milk it can nourish the skin.
Mix a teaspoon of lemon juice with a tablespoon of full-fat milk and dip cotton wool into and apply to under the eyes. Let the mixture air dry and then gently rinse off with cold water.
By Holly D.