This 3-day sugar detox will help your body get rid of excess sugar and become less dependent of it.
Like it sweet? Most of us do! However, sweet does not mean good… tasty and pleasant, yet very dangerous: the sugar addiction has become a severe health issue all over the world, leading to different health issues.
Sugar is often the root cause of the obesity epidemic and most of the chronic diseases sucking the life out of thousands and thousands of people. You name it, it may easily be caused by sugar: heart disease, cancer, dementia, type 2 diabetes, depression, and even acne, infertility, and impotence. People who have overdosed with sugars often just feel unwell. Depression, mental disorientation, consequent fatigue, headaches, hyperactivity, yeast infections, colds, sinus issues, and sleepiness – horrible isn’t it?
So… you are trying to lose weight?
Fat-Free yogurts and stuff? Well done! Right after putting 3 teaspoons of sugar in your morning coffee? Even once a day! A lot of us are guilty here… Did you know that sugar is eight times as addictive as cocaine?!
Therefore, being addicted to sugar is not an emotional eating disorder, but a biological one, which is driven by hormones and neurotransmitters that fuel sugar and carb cravings, (which in term leads to uncontrolled overeating). The NHS recommend about 70g of sugar a day for men and 50g for women but most of us are of course exceeding this. Cakes and sweets, low-fat products, processed foods… We need a clear path to detox our body from sugar and break the addictive cycle of carb and sugar cravings that robs us of our health!
If you are rewarding yourself with sugar, eating due to cravings but not hunger, hiding the stash of sweets somewhere ‘safe’, being defensive of the intake of sugar or consuming certain foods despite the serious health issues you are experiencing… Congratulations! You are a sugar addict! The more sugar you eat, the more sugar the body demands.
Here is a 3-day sugar detox plan that will help you fight the addiction and effectively detox your body. This might sound tough, but it’s worth it! Your breakfast will consist of eggs (scrambled or poached); lunch will be salads (tuna nicoise or poached chicken on a bed of leaves); while dinner will come in the form of protein (grilled fish, chicken or Tofu, with a selection of vegetables). The only snacks allowed over the three days include nuts and pepper sticks with hummus. You can only drink green/herbal tea and one black coffee with no added sugar per day (along with lots of water that can be jazzed up with a slice of lime). It’s all very tasty if you get used to it!
Ready? Let’s get our sugar detox started!
- Make sure the timing is right. Pick a window when you have an easy schedule (headaches and a general feeling of crankiness during the detox can be common side effects). Try to start during the week, for example, when you don’t have dinner plans and can relax.
- Know what to cut. For three days, skip carbohydrates like wheat and other grains, alcohol, and all forms of added sugar. Watch out for sneaky sources like tomato-based sauces, salad dressings, and marinades. You should also (temporarily!) cut out fruit and dairy. You can eat whole sources of protein (eggs, chicken, meat), lots of vegetables, and healthy fat sources like nuts and avocados (for example, you could have eggs and avocado for breakfast, a huge salad with colorful vegetables, nuts, and chicken for lunch, and a steak and sautéed broccoli for dinner).
- Do some addition. After three days, gradually add back in healthy sugars—starting with an apple and a serving of dairy each day. Next, add more fruit, and little by little add back in healthy grains, more dairy, and even wine and dark chocolate.
This 3-day sugar detox will help your body get rid of excess sugar and become less dependent on the ‘sweetness’ of your food – and therefore, bad sugars. It’s important not to fall back into the addiction after you have detoxed. Keeping the sugar levels below the maximum threshold is incredibly important if you want to be healthy! Detoxing once and going back to lots of cakes is a big mistake.
Here are few detox drinks that will boost your metabolism and replace the sugary drinks on a daily basis:
- Black coffee without sugar
- Green or herbal tea 3 times daily (unsweetened)
- Detox water on a daily basis.
Rid yourself of sugar and stay healthy! Your efforts to cut back on sugar will pay off!
By Anastasia T.
Copyright © 2017 Life Advancer. All rights reserved. For permission to reprint, contact us.