We all want strong and luscious locks, but some things stand in our way of achieving them. One such issue is scalp acne.
Scalp acne is a skin condition involving the oil glands at the base of the hair follicles. When a pore or hair follicle is clogged due to the accumulation of dead skin cells or sebum, it leads to an outbreak of acne. This problem can cause a lot of discomfort in the scalp for both young and old people.
Here are some of its most common causes.
Symptoms And Causes Of Scalp Acne
- While scalp acne occurs in people of different races and age groups, it is specifically common in women due to hormonal imbalance during periods, pregnancy, and even puberty.
- Stress, depression, and fatigue can also cause scalp acne.
- An unhealthy diet, an allergic reaction, or even poor hygiene can lead to this issue.
- Living in a humid environment and exposure to pollution and other chemicals can also lead to scalp acne.
- Medical experts believe that genetics could be a major risk factor for developing scalp acne. And if left untreated, it can lead to an infection.
Scalp acne that is mild can be seen around the hairline as small red bumps. You experience an itchy sensation on your scalp. Severe symptoms of scalp acne include the formation of red bumps on your scalp and small, itchy pustules that are crusting.
If you use a lot of oil-based hair products, you may face this issue. It starts appearing on the hairline and spreads to the forehead. And if not treated soon, it can lead to bald patches and scarring.
The good news is that you don’t have to use expensive chemical-laden products to get rid of scalp acne. Here are some effective home remedies that will help you.
Natural Ways to Treat Scalp Acne
1. Apple Cider Vinegar Treatment
Fighting acne is not easy. You need ingredients that have antibacterial and antiseptic properties to help eliminate the bacteria causing the acne. One such ingredient is apple cider vinegar.
It restores the pH of the scalp, which prevents further breakouts. Mix ACV with equal amounts of water and rinse your hair with this solution.
2. Essential Oils Treatment
- Lavender oil + Tea tree oil: Mix a tablespoon of lavender oil with four tablespoons of tea tree oil. Add two tablespoons of olive oil to the mixture and mix well. Apply this concoction to your scalp and let it do its magic.
- Tea tree oil + Olive oil: The antibacterial properties of tea tree oil fight the bacteria causing the scalp acne. Mix tea tree oil with olive oil in equal amounts and massage it gently into your scalp. Leave the concoction on for a couple of hours before you rinse it off.
3. Fenugreek Leaves Treatment
Fenugreek leaves have medicinal properties that can help treat scalp acne. Mix two tablespoons of crushed fenugreek leaves with lukewarm water, make a paste and apply to your scalp. Leave it on for 20-25 minutes and then wash it away.
4. Turmeric Treatment
Turmeric is considered to be an antioxidant. It contains a compound called curcumin, which exhibits antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. Add coconut oil to turmeric and mix it well to form a thick paste. Apply this paste to your scalp.
5. Aloe Vera Treatment
Aloe Vera is good for the skin, hair, and scalp. It helps kill the bacteria causing the acne and prevents the infection from spreading. It reduces inflammation in the scalp and promotes a healthy scalp.
Apply the pure gel from the leaf of aloe vera on the affected area for the best results. Or mix it with lemon juice and apply it to damp hair. Leave it on for 20 minutes before rinsing it off.
6. Neem Water Treatment
Another ingredient in antifungal and antioxidant properties is neem. Its antibacterial properties work well in healing scalp acne. Filter out the neem infused water and apply it to your scalp. Leave it on for about an hour before rinsing it off. It helps maintain the pH of the scalp and gradually heals the acne.
7. Honey-Cinnamon Treatment
This is a sticky yet effective treatment for scalp acne. Mix a couple of tablespoons of honey with an equal quantity of cinnamon. Both have antimicrobial and soothing properties that help in healing scalp acne. Apply this paste to your scalp, leave it on for half an hour, and then wash it off.
These are a few effective ways to get rid of scalp acne. But you can also prevent its occurrence by making a few changes to your hair care routine and lifestyle.
How to Avoid Scalp Acne:
1. Follow a healthy and nutritious diet that includes fresh vegetables and fruits. Avoid processed or fried foods.
2. Drink plenty of water and keep yourself hydrated to eliminate harmful toxins from the body. Make sure you get ample rest.
3. Follow a proper hair care regimen. It requires patience and dedication, but it also means no more scalp acne.
4. Pick shampoos and other hair care products that include any of the above-mentioned ingredients – they keep your scalp healthy and acne-free.
That’s everything you need to know about scalp acne. Remember not to touch or scratch them or do anything that will aggravate the situation. If the home remedies don’t work, it means that the situation has worsened and requires medical care.
Treating scalp acne is not as complicated as it may seem. Keep these things in mind, and you will be able to eliminate it.
- Scalp Acne: Causes, Symptoms and Natural Ways to Treat It - April 17, 2018
- Here Is What an Afternoon Nap Does to Your Body and Mind - August 26, 2017
- What Causes Acne? Your Pimples May Reveal Something Important - May 26, 2017
Copyright © 2014-2021 Life Advancer. All rights reserved. For permission to reprint, contact us.