Have you ever heard about Cannabis Coconut Oil and its benefits?
There is no secret that the cannabis market is gaining popularity around the globe judging by the rising popularity of things like THC-infused sensual oil-based spray, medicated sipping cocoa among others.
What’s even more interesting is that you will find that most cannabis products in today’s market ranging from edibles such as coffee, cake and cookies, to topicals and sprays are infused with one common ingredient. Coconut oil!
Why is that so? Well, it is no fluke, let’s look at some facts:
- Coconut oil has a really high concentration of fatty acids that make it easy to create better binding agents for cannabinoids. This means that coconut oil has a far much better ability to retain more cannabinoids during extraction which translate to medically efficient products.
- Coconut oil is also known to provide health benefits with acids such as Lauric acid which creates an antimicrobial compound known as monoglyceride when digested.
- Unlike other oils, when coconut oil is used to extract cannabinoids, the end products remain solid even at room temperature. This property makes it very easy for the oil to be stored and distributed via gelatin capsules.
How Do You Make Your Own Cannabis Coconut Oil?
For cannabis-infused capsules you will need:
- 7-14 grams of cannabis of ground flowers
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup of organic extra virgin coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp soy lecithin
- Oven or slow cooker
- 45 to 50 empty gelatin capsules (preferably size 00)
- Capsule Filling machine
- Syringe: 10mm oral irrigators with tapered deep reach tips
- One glass bowl
- 1 baking tray
- 1 piece of cheese cloth
- One small bowl
- 1 rubber band
- 1 spatula
- One cooking pot with lid
- 1 sheet of parchment paper
You first have to decarboxylate the cannabis:
- Preheat the oven to 220 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Grind the cannabis and spread it on sheet of parachment
- Place the sheet of parachment paper on a baking tray and into the oven.
- Bakefor 30-40 minutes.
The Infusion process
- Fill your cooking pot with water until it is almost full.
- Soft boil the water to boil.
- Add coconut oil and soy lecithin in a glass bowl and place it on the rim of the cooking pot(place it 1-2 inches into the soft boiling water).
- After the two are melted (coconut oil and soy lecithin), add the decarboxylated cannabis.
- Mix together.
- Pour the water out of the cooking pot then add the oil mixture and place the oven back into the oven
- Cook at 220 degrees Fahrenheit for about 30 minutes.
Filling the Gelatine capsules
- Carefully read the instructions on how to prepare the gelatin capsules as well as the capsule filling machine and follow them. If you do not have the machine, you can get a little creative. For instance, you can poke some holes in a cardboard using a pen and use the holes to hold the capsules as you fill them.
- By now the oil is ready, strain it into a small bowl using the cheese cloth
- Let it sit to cool the oil to a temperature less than 100 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Fill the syringe and use it to inject the oil into the capsules
- You can then use the machine to close the capsules
- Once all the capsules are done, store in a cool dry place
You are bound to get around 40-50 capsules. For the dosage, you are advised to take the caps for lab testing. Otherwise, you can estimate the dosing of cannabis coconut oil based on three variables:
- Potency of starting material
- Ratio of oil to starting material
You can convert the potency of the starting material into milligrams and divide it by the weight of your final yield then subtract 10% of the result to cater for decarboxylation. You can then divide the outcome by the number of capsules yielded and you will have a rough estimate of the strength of your caps.
Copyright © 2017 Life Advancer. All rights reserved. For permission to reprint, contact us.